Malta Ship Photos by Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Home
About Us
Visitors' Book
Links
Contact Us
Alphabetical Index
Browse by Category
View All Photos

Fortifications

Maltese Culture > Fortifications >

Ferretti Coastal Battery
Ferretti Coastal Battery
Old gun battery
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Birzebbugia, Malta
Photo Date:
21.12.2008
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
10/8/2009 5:20:04 PM
More Info & Photos
Fort Cambridge Battery - 09.08.2008
Fort Cambridge Battery - 09.08.2008
Fort Cambridge is one of the last forts of the 19th Century situated in Tigne Point peninsula which contains a number of military fortifications, dating back to the late period of the Knights, the British and the French. Fort Cambridge was specifically built to accommodate one of only three produced 100-tonne guns by the British Army.
Operator:
Fort Cambridge Plc, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Tigne Point, Sliema, Malta
Photo Date:
09.08.2008
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
11/14/2009 2:32:06 PM
More Info & Photos
Fort Chambray - 09.08.2010
Fort Chambray - 09.08.2010
In 1749, soon after his appointment as Governor of Gozo, Bailiff Jacques François de Chambray offered to finance the construction of the fortifications of the new city.
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Ghajnsielem, Gozo
Photo Date:
09.08.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
02/04/2012 14:30:17
More Info & Photos
Fort Mosta - 13.12.2009
Fort Mosta - 13.12.2009
Fort Mosta was built in between the year 1878 and 1885 by the British rulers.
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Mosta, Malta
Photo Date:
13.12.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
12/31/2009 12:21:56 AM
More Info & Photos
Fort Ricasoli - 08.12.2009
Fort Ricasoli - 08.12.2009
It is named for the knight who financed a large part of the works, Fra Giovanni Francesco Ricasoli.
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Ricasoli, Malta
Photo Date:
08.12.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
12/10/2009 9:00:41 AM
More Info & Photos
Fort Ricasoli - 09.08.2008
Fort Ricasoli - 09.08.2008
It was designed by the Italian military engineer Antonio Maurizio Valperga, as part of Grand Master Nicholas Cottoner's extensive fortifications around Grand Harbour. It is named for the knight who financed a large part of the works, Fra Giovanni Francesco Ricasoli.
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Ricasoli, Malta
Photo Date:
09.08.2008
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
4/29/2009 7:50:55 AM
More Info & Photos
Fort Rinella - 31.10.2009
Fort Rinella - 31.10.2009
This fort built in 1878 is not only a unique remnant of Malta’s recent British colonial past, but it is also the world’s first mechanical fort which enabled its small garrison to fire a monstrous 100-ton gun every six minutes.
Operator:
Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Rinella, Malta
Photo Date:
31.10.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
11/4/2009 7:37:31 AM
More Info & Photos
Fort Rinella no 1 - 11.02.2011
Fort Rinella no 1 - 11.02.2011
Fort details
Operator:
Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Rinella, Malta
Photo Date:
11.02.2011
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
08/03/2012 00:28:29
More Info & Photos
Fort Rinella no 2 - 11.02.2011
Fort Rinella no 2 - 11.02.2011
Fort details
Operator:
Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Rinella, Malta
Photo Date:
11.02.2011
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
08/03/2012 00:30:40
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Angelo - 01.02.2008
Fort St. Angelo - 01.02.2008
Bird's eye view
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Vittoriosa, Grand Harbour, Malta
Photo Date:
01.02.2008
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
07/10/2011 17:00:18
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Angelo - 12.01.2015
Fort St. Angelo - 12.01.2015
Restoration works underway
Operator:
Heritage Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Vittoriosa, Malta
Photo Date:
12.01.2015
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
13/03/2015 14:14:32
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Angelo - 16.10.2009
Fort St. Angelo - 16.10.2009
Beautiful fort at night
Operator:
Order of the Knights of St. John
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Vittoriosa, Malta
Photo Date:
16.10.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
10/18/2009 2:47:26 PM
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Angelo - 17.07.2009
Fort St. Angelo - 17.07.2009
The date of its original construction is unknown and may date back to Roman times. It certainly existed in the early medieval period. The remains of a tower that may date back to the 11th century when Malta was under Arab control can be traced among the more recent works. From the 14th century the Maltese Islands were under Aragonese rule and the fortification was known as Castello a Mare (Castle by the sea) and it was home to the powerful Nava family, feudal lords of the island.
Operator:
Order of the Knights of St. John
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Vittoriosa, Malta
Photo Date:
17.07.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
7/22/2009 12:25:06 PM
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Angelo - 28.10.2010
Fort St. Angelo - 28.10.2010
At dawn period
Operator:
Order of the Knights of St. John
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Vittoriosa, Malta
Photo Date:
28.10.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
02/04/2012 14:38:24
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Elmo - 02.06.2010
Fort St. Elmo - 02.06.2010
It stands on the seaward shore of the Sciberras Peninsula that divides Marsamxett Harbour from Grand Harbour, and commands the entrances to both harbours
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Valletta, Malta
Photo Date:
02.06.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
06/06/2010 15:55:15
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Elmo - 23.10.2010
Fort St. Elmo - 23.10.2010
It stands on the seaward shore of the Sciberras Peninsula that divides Marsamxett Harbour from Grand Harbour, and commands the entrances to both harbours
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Valletta, Malta
Photo Date:
23.10.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
09/10/2011 10:56:09
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Leonard - 04.09.2010
Fort St. Leonard - 04.09.2010
Bird's eye view
Operator:
Private
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Marsascala, Malta
Photo Date:
04.09.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
02/04/2012 22:35:07
More Info & Photos
Fort St. Leonard - 21.12.2008
Fort St. Leonard - 21.12.2008
The Fort is used for the rearing of animals and agricultural purposes
Operator:
Private
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Marsascala, Malta
Photo Date:
21.12.2008
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
11/14/2009 2:15:37 PM
More Info & Photos
Fort St.Angelo - 17.06.2006
Fort St.Angelo - 17.06.2006
Visit to the fort
Operator:
Order of the Knights of St. John
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Vittoriosa, Malta
Photo Date:
17.06.2006
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
8/31/2009 10:25:35 PM
More Info & Photos
Ghajn Znuber Tower - 09.04.2010
Ghajn Znuber Tower - 09.04.2010
The Torri ta' Ciantar, which is not actually a coastal watchtower but a farmstead built with an interesting configuration, remains an important feature of the stunningly beautiful, rugged cliff edge coastline within the Majjistral Park.
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Manikata, Malta
Photo Date:
09.04.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
4/12/2010 5:57:17 PM
More Info & Photos
Ghajn Znuber Tower - 27.11.2011
Ghajn Znuber Tower - 27.11.2011
Under restoration
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Rdum Majjiesa, Mellieha, Malta
Photo Date:
27.11.2011
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
29/11/2011 00:04:23
More Info & Photos
Ghallis Tower - 21.12.2008
Ghallis Tower - 21.12.2008
This Tower is one of thirteen watch towers built by Grand Master de Redin between 1658 and 1659. These watch towers were not designed to resist an invading force, but primarily to provide an early warning system of attacks by pirates and other raiders. This replaced the tradition whereby farmers manned sixty lookout posts after a day in the fields. The watch towers all have a similar plan consisting of two floors with a turret on the roof. Ghallis Tower is about 12m high and has a 9m square base. The walls consist of an inner and outer skin of masonry with a solid gravel infill. The external wall is made of coralline limestone (tal-qawwi) which is weather resistant and the inner wall is globogerina limestone (tal-franka).
Operator:
Din L-Art Helwa Organisation, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Salina, Malta
Photo Date:
21.12.2008
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
11/14/2009 2:20:31 PM
More Info & Photos
Mdina - 25.05.2006
Mdina - 25.05.2006
Mdina gate and details
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Mdina, Malta
Photo Date:
25.05.2006
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
4/12/2010 6:05:58 PM
More Info & Photos
Qalet Marku Tower - 22.10.2009
Qalet Marku Tower - 22.10.2009
Grand Master de Redin built thirteen such towers at his own expense at key tactical sites in Malta, starting from Mellieha in the North, eastwards to Zonqor, round to Benghajsa and ending near Zurrieq. The rugged Western coast was considered naturally inaccessible and needing no towers. The cost of the thirteen towers amounted to 6,428 scudi or about €1,246 today, making the average cost of each tower about €96.
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Bahar ic-Caghaq, Malta
Photo Date:
22.10.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
11/6/2009 8:24:13 PM
More Info & Photos
Qalet Marku Tower - 28.11.2011
Qalet Marku Tower - 28.11.2011
Bird's eye view of Qalet Marku Tower (St. Mark Tower
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Bahar ic-Caghaq, Malta
Photo Date:
28.11.2011
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
29/11/2011 00:19:40
More Info & Photos
Roman Villa - 18.06.2006
Roman Villa - 18.06.2006
This is situated just outside the Greeks Gate of Mdina. The Roman Villa was excavated in 1881. The columns on the front door were built much later to give one an idea that one is entering a Roman Villa. Maybe the word villa is here a misnomer, as it is a Roman Town House in reality.
Operator:
Heritage Malta, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Rabat, Malta
Photo Date:
18.06.2006
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
9/3/2009 9:24:47 PM
More Info & Photos
St Agatha's Tower - 27.10.2009
St Agatha's Tower - 27.10.2009
This tower, also known as the Red Tower, was built in 1649 and was manned during both World Wars.
Operator:
Din L-Art Helwa, Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Mellieha, Malta
Photo Date:
27.10.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
10/30/2009 9:27:14 PM
More Info & Photos
St. Lucian Tower - 09.08.2009
St. Lucian Tower - 09.08.2009
It was built by the Knights of Malta between 1610 and 1611 and is one of a series of Wignacourt towers. The British substantially extended it and the original tower now forms the core of a Victorian era fortress. The tower is surrounded by a rock cut ditch, with caponiers, a sunken gate, and a curved entrance ramp.
Operator:
The Malta Centre For Fisheries Sciences
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Marsaxlokk, Malta
Photo Date:
09.08.2009
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
8/16/2009 4:02:16 PM
More Info & Photos
St. Mary's Tower - 01.11.2010
St. Mary's Tower - 01.11.2010
St. Mary's Tower (Maltese: It-Torri ta' Santa Marija) is a fortification on the island of Comino in the Malta archipelago. One can see it easily from the ferry that crosses from Malta to Gozo. The tower is a large, square building with four corner turrets, and is located about 80 metres above sea level. The Tower itself is about 12 metres tall, with walls that are approximately 6 metres thick, and is raised on a platform and plinth that are approximately 8 meters high. During times of crisis its garrison numbered up to 60 soldiers. By 1791, its armament included two 12-pound iron cannon, one 10-pound bronze cannon, one 4-pound bronze cannon, and two 3-pound bronze cannon.
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Comino, Malta
Photo Date:
01.11.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
07/10/2011 16:26:03
More Info & Photos
St. Mary's Tower - 29.09.2010
St. Mary's Tower - 29.09.2010
Guarding the island of Comino
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Comino, Malta
Photo Date:
21.09.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
07/10/2011 16:32:38
More Info & Photos
St. Thomas Tower - 16.06.2010
St. Thomas Tower - 16.06.2010
St Thomas Tower is a fortification on the island of Malta. It stands above the shore on the seaward face of the headland of Il-Hamriga. The tower was built by the Knights of Malta in 1614 during the reign of Grand Master Fra Alof de Wignacourt, and is one of the set of Wignacourt towers.
Operator:
NIL
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Marsascala, Malta
Photo Date:
16.06.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
21/06/2013 17:55:49
More Info & Photos
Wied Musa Battery - 19.04.2016
Wied Musa Battery - 19.04.2016
also known as Swatar Battery (Maltese: Batterija tas-Swatar), is a former artillery battery in Marfa, limits of Mellieħa, Malta. It was built by the Order of Saint John in 1714–1716 as one of a series of coastal fortifications around the Maltese Islands.
Operator:
Government of Malta
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Marfa, Malta
Photo Date:
19.04.2016
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
23/04/2016 12:12:40
More Info & Photos
Wignacourt Tower - 01.07.2007
Wignacourt Tower - 01.07.2007
The tower first saw action in July 1614, when an Ottoman fleet tried to land but they went elsewhere when they saw the new tower. A coastal battery was added in 1715 to increase the tower's fire power. During British rule in the 19th century, it was used as a police station and a telegraph post. The tower was eventually leased to Din l-Art Helwa in 1970 and restoration began six years later.
Operator:
Nil
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
St. Paul's Bay, Malta
Photo Date:
01.07.2007
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
21/05/2014 12:55:29
More Info & Photos
Xlendi Tower - 26.04.2010
Xlendi Tower - 26.04.2010
Overlooking Xlendi Bay
Operator:
n/a
Photographer:
Capt. Lawrence Dalli
Location:
Xlendi, Gozo
Photo Date:
26.04.2010
Photo Category::
Fortifications
Photo Posted Online:
4/27/2010 10:27:24 PM
More Info & Photos