postcalendar

Publish

1 January 1970

postcaticon

Category

Blog

postreadingicon

Read

1 min

One of 3 former German Custom Launches donated to Malta from the Federal Republic of Germany (FDR) as GEIER ended her life as a harbour cruise boat in January 2021 as SEAHAWK after 49 years in service around the Maltese Islands.

In January 1972 the Federal Republic of Germany (FDR) donated 3 Patrol Craft to the Maltese Government. Prior to these, 14 personnel including 1 officer were sent to Bremerhaven and Gluckstadt for familiarisation courses. On completion of their 3 month course, theuy returned back to Malta and the launches were shipped to Malta as a deck cargo on the 1959 built heavy lift ship UHENFELS on 16th August 1976.

The 3 launches – BRUNSBUTTEL given designation as C 27 ; GEIER given designation as C 28 and KONDOR given designation as C 29 were offloaded from UHENFELS that was moored at Bighi Bay to the 1st Maritime Battery of the Malta Land Force (Now Armed Forces of Malta – AFM) based at Senglea.

On Thursday 7th January, 2021 at 0810 hrs she touched the sea again for the last time from Slip 6 at MIYY bound to MMH Facilities at Grand Harbour to be lifted by hoist and broken up. In fact at 0814 hrs she left MIYY with workboat GOLDFINDER as escort vessel.

At 0834 hrs SEAHAWK passed breakwaters for the last time and arrived at MMH facilities few minutes later.

All Photographs with others in archives are AGAINST PAYMENT so feel free to email us with your requirements.

Watermarked Photos are by Capt. Lawrence Dalli otherwise stated. NO PHOTOS can be used or manipulated without our permission.
© All rights reserved. Malta Ship Photos & Action Photos – www.maltashipphotos.com