Fosen Yard, also known as Fosen Mechanical Workshop at at Kvithylla in Rissa municipality was established in 1972. Before that time, the company was called Frengen Slip and Motorworks AS, and in 1962 it was bought by a Norwegian Industrial Builder JENS PETTER BYE (1920-1996) of which 10 years later it was renamed as Fosen Mechanical Workshops.
Cruise liner MIDNATSOL as yard number 73 was completed at Fosen as hull, superstructure, machine and funnel were built by subsidiary Bruce Shipyard in Sweden in 2003.
The company had about 350 permanent employees and became part of Bergen Group in 2008. In 2014, Bergen Group sold the yard to Ukrainian Calexco S.a.r.l., first sold 70%, then the remaining 30 %. The company changed its name from Bergen Group Fosen to Noryards Fosen without having immediate practical significance for the employees at the shipyard in Rissa.
Cruise liner TROLLFJORD as yard number 72 was completed at Fosen as hull, superstructure, machine and funnel were built by subsidiary Bruce Shipyard in Sweden in 2002. Here at Stavanger, Norway during September 2003.
On October 14, 2015, Noryards Fosen announced that the company will declare bankrupt with 72 employees lost their jobs Three weeks later, Fosen Yard was established as a new operating company, and it became known that the yard had won an international tender competition on the rebuilding of five fast-paced ships.
Apartment ship THE WORLD as yard number 71 was completed at Fosen as hull was built by subsidiary Bruce Shipyard in Sweden in 2003.
With debts of NOK 100 million, Fosen Yard has filed for bankruptcy, leading to the loss of 130 jobs. It is not the first time the yard has gone bankrupt though, and hopes are that they will start up again since they have several major contracts in the books and the losses relate mostly to the last two projects, the latest being the electrification of Torghatten Nord’s BARØY.
Timeline image by Bergen Group